Broadmeadows Manufacturing Facility
Australia has a longstanding commitment to a policy of self-sufficiency in the production and supply of blood and plasma products. Under Australia’s National Blood Agreement, security of supply for a comprehensive range of important plasma products is underpinned by their on-shore manufacture from Australia’s own plasma, which CSL Behring undertakes at our manufacturing facility in Broadmeadows Victoria. CSL Behring manufactures a comprehensive portfolio of 15 plasma products for Australia from plasma collected by the Australian Red Cross Blood Service:
• Immunoglobulins to treat and prevent infections, and to treat autoimmune diseases and neurological conditions.
• Critical care products for use in blood loss, shock, to treat severe burns and to replace specific blood proteins.
• Coagulation factors to treat bleeding disorders such as haemophilia and von Willebrand disease, and to reverse the effects of warfarin.
• Hyperimmune immunoglobulins to help protect against infection by life-threatening bacteria or viruses, and to help prevent haemolytic disease of the newborn.
In addition to manufacturing plasma products from Australia’s plasma, CSL Behring’s facility in Broadmeadows Victoria also provides highly specialised contract plasma fractionation services to other countries in the region: New Zealand, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore and Taiwan.
Since 2010 CSL Behring has invested in three substantial new manufacturing facilities at our Broadmeadows site.
Biotechnology Manufacturing Facility
• One of Australia’s largest and most advanced biotechnology facilities, for the manufacture of new recombinant protein therapies for use in late stage clinical development for a range of conditions.
Turner PRIVIGEN® Facility and AlbuRx® Facility
• PRIVIGEN (intravenous normal immunoglobulin, 10%) and AlbuRx (Human Albumin 5% & 25%) are global CSL Behring therapies manufactured from plasma collected by CSL Plasma in the US and Europe.
• Commissioning of these two facilities at Broadmeadows will substantially expand CSL Behring’s global production capacities and see product manufactured in Broadmeadows Victoria exported for supply to patients globally across the CSL Behring network, to meet growing global need for these important therapies.
In addition to contributing to Australia’s export economy, these three additional facilities at Broadmeadows will provide Australia with further high skills science and manufacturing employment opportunities, and strengthen capabilities to develop and commercialise future new medicines onshore in Australia.